Aughnanure Castle 

 
This majestic castle which was the home of the "Ferocious O'Flaherty's" is two miles south of Oughterard. It was built around 1500. The O'Flaherty's were a wild Irish clan who were masters of West Connacht - the area between Lough Corrib and the sea - up to the 16th century.
 
The O'Flahtery's did not take kindly to the Normans who settled in Galway from the late 1300's, regarding them as enemies. They frequently attacked the settlers, who had to build walls around the city to keep them out. This led to the saying "From the ferocious O'Flahertys good Lord deliver us". Described as "by far the finest dwelling" upon any part of the shores of Lough Corrib, Aughanure is a well preserved example of a six story Irish tower house.
 
Opening hours: Mid June to mid Sept: 9.30am to 6pm daily. Oct & May to mid June open Sat and Sun. Last admission 45 mins before closing. (please check with Aughnanure Castle to confirm)
 
 

Contact

Address

Maam Cross,
Connemara,
Co. Galway

Phone

+353 (0)91 552 306

Email

info@peacockes.ie

Location

Select language